In 1830, Nathan Maynard purchased 160 acres from the USA on “Old United States Road” (now known as Bluemound Road). Bluemound Rd. was built over an Indian trail from Milwaukee to Blue Mounds (near Madison) and was called “bluemound” because it had a bluish tint from the copper in the soil.

The land was sold several times before Aloyes & Rosa Knoebel from Baden, Germany, purchased the property in 1847 from Henry Nunnemacher who was the builder of the Jacob Best Brewery in Milwaukee. They granted a portion of their property to their daughter, Hycinthia, and her husband Frank Federer in 1851. Tax rolls list the property value at $1000.00 for 84 acres. The property taxes were $8.00 a year.

In 1895, Frank and Hycinthia, now in their 70’s, turned over the farm to their daughter, Rosie, in consideration for $1.00. In 1905, Rosie deeded the farm to her brother, Max, with the following condition. For $300.00/year, Rosie reserves the “parlor room” in the main house so long as she is able to work. Otherwise, she pays $3.00 per day rent! Rosie lived until 1925 and died at her birth place at age 72.

In 1926, Ulmont & Edith Kewley purchased the farm plus 90 acres. They name it “RockValley Farm”. The Kewleys kept about 30 head of cattle in the full sized barn (across from Jacks) and were the first in the area to have modernized milking machinery.

In 1936, Leo Albright bought the farm and installed indoor plumbing in the main house. In 1945, Don and Rene Beatty purchased the farm. The top blew off the horse barn in a storm and instead of rebuilding the entire upper portion, a roof was placed on the lower stone walls converting it to a pig barn. This is Jack’s Café today.

James Nelson and wife purchased the property in 1962 and sold it to David and Gwen Rickett in1966. The Rickets lived on the property for 28 years until Kari Miller - Cameron and Jack Cameron, current owners and operators of the businesses, purchased the remaining 2 and 1/4 acres in 1995.

In 2004, the Camerons completed their master plan and had their son, Tim Miller, a preservation carpenter, build their Early 1700-1800’s saltbox home with offices on the property located behind the café. The history lives on . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment